Director of Safety and Training
Posted: Mar 11, 2020
Title: Director, Safety & Training
Summary of Position:
Design and build a safety program aimed at providing top-of-the line safety services, consulting and training for ICI member companies and their employees. The individual will have the ability to present, educate and relate to individuals within all levels of a corporate structure – supervisors to safety managers to CEOs – with a goal of helping create the highest attainable safety culture in the construction environment.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
• Achieve organizational goals as established by management;
• Work with member companies to help them identify and solve unsafe behaviors and practices in the field;
• Lead safety training where appropriate and provide resources for members to find other necessary training opportunities. Such training could include OSHA 10- and 30-hour certifications, trenching/excavating, cranes, flagging, rigging and silica monitoring;
• Help member companies to develop a safety culture, including preparing and/or critiquing safety plans, conducting field audits, meeting with top leadership, giving safety seminars and other appropriate practices;
• Establish and grow relationships with member company safety directors;
• Staff and grow participation in ICI safety committees and task forces, including the IDOL Partnership program;
• Collect as much pertinent safety data from member partners as possible including incident rates, public incidents, near misses and any other related metrics and use the data to develop appropriate programmatic responses;
• Develop creative ways to recognize member company safety improvements, including revamping the annual safety awards;
• Stay up to date with industry changes and develop programs or learning tools to bring along membership;
• Monitor OSHA developments that may impact contractors, disseminate compliance information to member companies and prepare comments for potential association actions related to OSHA issues;
• Craft toolbox talks for member companies;
• Establish and grow relationships with appropriate state agency personnel including INDOT and IDOL;
• Initiate ideas for new and better ways to perform responsibilities and bring recommendations to management’s attention for possible implementation;
• Perform special projects as assigned by management; and
• Abide by all policies established by management.
Bachelor’s degree in safety management and/or BCSP accreditation (CSP, CHST) preferred but not required. Minimum five years safety experience required. Appropriate safety degree, CSP or CHST designation may take the place of some of the years of experience.
Candidate must have completed OSHA 510 and 500 courses and have current instructor card in First Aid/CPR. Other experience preferred but not required: fall protection, trench safety, traffic control/flagging.
Candidate must be a self-starter, a creative thinker and an excellent communicator with good writing, communication and organization skills. Computer literacy required.
This job description describes the general duties and responsibilities of the position. It is not a complete list of duties, and the staff member may be required to take on additional duties and responsibilities as required by the needs of the Association.
Compensation commensurate with experience. Standard ICI benefits package will apply. As there will be some driving involved, the successful candidate must own their own vehicle and will be reimbursed for its use at the IRS-issued standard mileage reimbursement rate.
For more contact Richard Hedgecock at email@example.com.