EHS Lead (Plainfield, IN)
Administer and implement Environmental, Health and Safety (EHS) programs and procedures in collaboration with the Division EHS Manager. Follows established procedures to support BD Distribution Center personnel in order to maintain compliance with facility/corporate EHS policies, agency regulations, and best management practices. Works on problems of limited scope where analysis of procedures and policies is necessary to select appropriate methods and techniques for obtaining satisfactory solutions. Perform routine tasks with detailed instruction and supervision, applies company policies and procedures in order to plan and accomplish goals. This individual will regularly receive direction from the Division EHS Manager and will add new skills as required to accomplish assigned tasks.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES including but not limited to the following. Other duties may be assigned.
Aid in the management, administration of all site health, safety and environmental programs, including but not limited to chemical hygiene, fire safety, HAZCOM, PPE, storm water, NFPA 70E, emergency evacuation, CPR/AED, and confined space for example. Coordinates with external contractors and agencies to assist with training as needed.
Aid in the management of investigations of accidents and work-related injuries or illnesses. Coordinate tracking of cases by maintaining OSHA 300 Logs and corporate incident reporting system and follow-up Workers’ Compensation case management activities. Review and improve the site’s Injury and Illness Prevention Program (IIPP) as needed.
Assist in the management of the site’s Ergonomics Program. Act as a liaison to associates and others receiving or requesting ergonomic evaluations. Provide ergonomic evaluations with the assistance of the divisional EHS Manager. Coordinate follow-up activities, track evaluations and equipment orders.
Assist in the management of the site’s EHS Training Program. Provide limited training on pre-established safety curriculum. Maintain Health & Safety Training database. Generate reports and coordinate scheduling.
Provide review and periodic updates of written safety and environmental programs, including SOPs and Work Instructions (WIs).
Conduct regulatory evaluations, write reports as required, and report activities to the divisional EHS manager.
Oversee and coordinate scheduling and documentation of monthly testing of all eye washes and emergency showers, monthly inspection of all fire extinguishers, and safety equipment needs at the site.
Keep abreast of the basic requirements for compliance in own area of work and complies with those requirements. Participate as required in training on regulatory issues affecting own area of work. Brings regulatory compliance questions/issues to the attention of management.
Ensures EH&S training through the implementation of safety awareness programs. Participates in scheduled departmental safety inspections and assists in identifying corrective actions for identified hazards. Ensures EH&S policies and procedures are followed through education and training. Discusses and documents pertinent EH&S topics at staff meetings. Participates as a standing member of the Safety Committee.
Performs other related duties and assignments as required.
Executes EHS projects and implements safety programs as required, assists with developing the safety budget
Performs other duties as assigned
May require off-shift and/or weekend work. Needs to be on-call 24/7.
Regular and reliable attendance at work.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed herein are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- Employee must be self-driven; have high energy, solid attention to detail skills, and possess excellent interpersonal skills with all employee levels
- Employee must have superior communication, time management, and organizational skills.
- Knowledgeable in fire protection systems, emergency response programs, safety committees, and audit programs.
- Ability to provide safety training to all levels of employees on a variety of safety topics
- Must be knowledgeable in EPA, OSHA, NFPA, and other safety regulations
- Must be proficient in some Microsoft Office programs: Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook. Must be comfortable using data base programs.
- Must be experienced in both General Industry and Construction Environments
- Ability to work in a fast-paced changing environment. Must be self-motivated by working independently and have the ability to take ownership of her/his responsibilities
- Strong organizational skills and ability to prioritize and handle multiple tasks/projects concurrently; ability to effectively manage time.
- Ability to exercise tact, maturity and judgment when dealing with employees and visitors/vendors
- Strong listening, assessment, questioning and problem-solving skills
- Ability to participate on teams and maintain positive work environment with those teams
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- Must have 3-5 years of relevant EHS experience. Bachelor’s degree in Environmental, Occupational Health & Safety, Industrial Hygiene, or science related field required.
- Certification in (ex. CSP, CIH) is desirable, but not required.
- Process Safety Management experience desired
Must be able to read and comprehend simple instructions in Basic English and write short correspondence / memos. Must be able to effectively present information in one-on-one as well as large group situations to staff, internal customers and other employees within the organization.
Ability to apply mathematical concepts such as geometry, trigonometry, exponents, etc. Ability to apply mathematical concepts to tasks such as trending and reporting in matrix formats for audits, training programs and EHS program compliance.
Position requires good logic and reasoning ability. Ability to define problems and find logical solutions. Ability to interpret specifications and technical instructions. In summary, position requires a high degree of logical analyzing. Position interfaces heavily with outside vendors and contractors.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle or feel. The employee is occasionally required to stand and reach with hands and arms and lift and/or move up to fifty pounds. Employee is required to meet with other personnel in other areas of building. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
During the performance of this job, the employee may be in hot and humid locations, near moving mechanical parts, elevated heights, risk of electrical shock, work with explosive gas, toxic and caustic chemicals, or experience loud noise (maintenance shop, forklift equipment, and construction). Must be available for “on call” activities.
For more information visit EHS Lead.