This position will be responsible for providing EHS support and will be a trusted partner to our employees and managers to Interact and work with a diverse group of people to drive safety and sustainability awareness. This position will work with the EHS Manager in planning and executing Baxter’s environmental, health and safety programs to sustain and improve performance and ensure a positive, safe, healthful, and incident-free work environment. The candidate will possess a high degree of motivation, ability to communicate, influence and collaborate effectively with all levels of employees. The candidate must demonstrate a willingness to be “hands-on,” learn rapidly, and make a positive impact.
Your Team at Baxter
Within the EHS&S Organization, we strive to ensure compliance with applicable regulatory and Baxter requirements, committing to Prioritize Compliance, Promote Health & Safety and Protect the Planet while creating value for our employees, our customers, our suppliers and contractors, the communities and the patients that we serve.
We build relationships with each other to get work done. Building these relationships is easy because we all share common traits of being reliable, ethical, and caring. We lean on our colleagues for their expertise and hold each other accountable. We feel empowered to speak up when there’s a new insight or opportunity to improve something. This open dialog builds trust within the team and helps create a better product for our customers.
What you’ll be doing
- Use influence to advance EHS&S compliance/programs with proactive, transparent and effective messaging in line with Baxter Corporate policies, State and Federal regulations.
- Facilitate and collaborate with cross-functional teams to ensure the attainment of the company’s goals relative to EHS&S outcomes.
- Assist in emergency response and preparedness and be available to respond to emergencies for two shift business operation.
- Assists with annual department goals according to key metrics (TRIR, energy consumption) that are measured throughout the organization.
- Work independently to perform EHS inspections and audits of facilities, processes and equipment as well as work diligently to ensure the closure of any identified corrective and preventive actions.
- Conduct and coordinate EHS trainings and onboarding process for employees.
- Coordinate the wellness programs in alignment with corporate initiatives and local wellness team.
- Assists in the management of the workers’ compensation program including claims monitoring and administration, report generation, and communication with employees, managers, insurance carriers, medical staff for litigated/non-litigated claims.
- Partner with management and others on the investigation of incidents, including “near-misses” to identify root causes and corrective/preventive actions.
- Perform industrial hygiene activities such as air and noise monitoring as well as respiratory protection fit tests and training.
- Work with others to evaluate hazardous conditions and practices, including managing Job Hazard Analysis (JHA’s) to develop and implement hazard control practices and programs.
- Implement solutions that will support management’s efforts to improve and maintain compliance and best practices including leading the lockout/tagout and other essential EHS programs.
- Research industry “Best-Practices” to ensure world class leadership in EHS&S.
- Data Management responsibilities include EHS CAPA tracking, waste documentation, regulatory submittals, and others as assigned.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
What you’ll bring
- B.S. Degree in Environmental, Safety, Engineering or related field required
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in a similar role
- CSP Preferred
- OSHA 30-hour hazardous waste training preferred
- Working knowledge of medical products industry preferred
- Knowledge of EHS and Worker’s Compensation rules and regulations
- Experience with ISO14001 preferred.
- Hazmat, Hazcom, DOT Regulations, EPA, IDEM, Waste water, and Storm water experience
- State and federal regulatory experience
- Strong organizational, interpersonal, communication, and team work skills. Ability to communicate across all levels of the organization
- Ability to work both independently and on a team.
- Ability to translate, statistically analyze data, and effectively report problems through written and/or graphical formats.
- Self-motivated, strong interpersonal and negotiation skills.
- Good communication, written and oral skills
- Excellent organizational skills, problem solving skills and attention to detail
- Ability to handle a broad range of tasks simultaneously and priorities and work cross-functionally in a highly-matrixed environment.
For more information please visit EHS Specialist.